Thread: Adding / Fixing info on novels

Fushigi
posted on
13:59 on 7 May

I'm the author of two novels listed here. I would like to add the various information (Author name, tags, description, etc.) and I have tried to use the 'edit' button, but it does not seem to keep the info. Is there an authorization process I have to go through first? Or a hidden 'submit' button I'm not seeing?

Also, one of my novels is a series of novelettes, and the chapters given on the site are per novelette, so it is showing multiple chapter ones, chapter twos, etc. (one per story). Can I edit this to put them in proper order?

fake-name
posted on
03:52 on 8 May

Once you're logged in, hit the "edit" button, make your changes, and hit "save", and it should stick.

You do need to save the changes, though thinking about it, it's definitely not made as clear as it could be.

Also, one of my novels is a series of novelettes, and the chapters given on the site are per novelette, so it is showing multiple chapter ones, chapter twos, etc. (one per story). Can I edit this to put them in proper order?

Sorry about that. The feed feeder system tries very hard to guess correct volume/chapter/part information, but there's more ways to denote chapters then I can reasonably write handlers for.

Once you're loggged in, you should be able to right click on the table cells in the "Extra" or "Group/Host" columns of the series-releases table, and get to the edit dialog (you should get a custom right-click menu with edit being one of the entries).

If you see it, but can't make changes, let me know, I should be able to fix your user permissions (I can't remember if that requires moderator permissions or not).

Going forward, if your content is coming via RSS, if you use numeric volume numbers as a tag for things, I should be able to make it so the feed gets parsed correctly.

If it's a royalroadl series, I have the ability to force sequential numbering based on pure item order, ignoring the textual names. Let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to follow up! And sorry about any issues!

Fushigi
posted on
17:36 on 8 May

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to make the edits on one of my novels. I did not see before that the 'edit' link changes to a 'save' link once you have the editable field. May I suggest posting a quick FAQ/how-to somewhere (or making it more prominent if there is one)?

I also have one minor issue. The field 'Group' does not appear to be available to edit or when adding a new release. The field simply doesn't exist there. I would like to be able to plug the groups I post with (Creative Novels, aka 'Fantasy-Books', and ScribbleHub.)

fake-name
posted on
02:58 on 9 May

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to make the edits on one of my novels. I did not see before that the 'edit' link changes to a 'save' link once you have the editable field. May I suggest posting a quick FAQ/how-to somewhere (or making it more prominent if there is one)?

I really need to improve the new-user experience in general, really. There's a number of behaviours that are very, very non-obvious that can be improved (if you have multiple fields open for editing, clicking "save" on one saves all of them, for example, so you can fix multiple things at once).

I also have one minor issue. The field 'Group' does not appear to be available to edit or when adding a new release. The field simply doesn't exist there. I would like to be able to plug the groups I post with

Currently, groups for OEL novels aren't really exposed much in general. I honestly wasn't anticipating expanding much beyond RoyalRoadL for OEL stuff initially, and I should probably see about reverting that.

Creative Novels, aka 'Fantasy-Books',

Gah, Soo many groups decide to rebrand randomly. I haven't implemented an admin feature to rename groups and it's annoying anyways (Frankly, I like fantasy books better too).