Thread: Api where to start (beginner)

Krysiss
posted on
01:28 on 5 October

Hello,

I saw you had API to pull date from your site and my question where to even start.

I am very new to this >_< (pulling data from an api)

Lets say which tools you can use to save the data when you try to pull the title's from a novel or if you know good beginner guide with "how to handle api data"

Thanks also any common trap where I have to watch out for as beginner?

fake-name
posted on
02:57 on 5 October

I'm not sure how useful a "where to start" document would be, as it basically depends on what you want to do.

My API (and APIs for websites in general) basically allow programmatic interactions with a website without having to actually process the HTML. In and of themselves, they're not of much use, because all they really do is just make something easier. This website is fundamentally just a CRUD application placed on the internet (as are basically all websites), so everything you can do is pretty much a subset of those four operations (create, read, update, and delete). It's primary function is to place a pretty interface on the basic operation set.

What are you trying to do?

Krysiss
posted on
10:41 on 5 October

So I was planning to pull some data and try to put it on my drupal site. but the how to do this, is not very clear to me.

So I am researching that subject.

Save it JSON file --> CSV and then upload it to my site or directly put straight on my drupal site.

Krysiss
posted on
10:50 on 5 October

Which tools would you use if you would pull data from api and save it? or put directly on your site.

fake-name
posted on
02:44 on 7 October

I'd probably write a python script.

Iterate over one of the list endpoints, and use that to then query for each series's data.

Personally, I like to avoid intermediate storage as much as possible altogether, so why bother storing as json or whatever when you could just have the script write directly to the end database?